Bulgarian Residence Overview
How to Become a Legal Resident of Bulgaria
A residence permit (issued by the Migration Directorate branch of the Ministry of Interior) is the necessary authorization which allows foreign citizens to legally stay in Bulgaria beyond the period of 3 months.
What Types of Bulgarian Residence Permits Are Available?
The Foreign Nationals in the Republic of Bulgaria Act defines 3 types of residence permits. Choose a link from the list below for more detailed information about each of the residence permits:
- Extended Residence Permit
- For an extended residence permit, all non-EU foreign citizens are required to have obtained a long-term D visa prior to the start of the application process. This type of permit (also known as prolonged residence permit) is valid for a period of up to one (1) year.
- Long-Term EU Residence Permit
- EU citizens, holders of a valid passport or an ID card, have the right to remain in Bulgaria for a continuous period of up to three (3) months after entering the country. This type of permit is issued for a maximum period of five (5) years.
- Permanent Residence Permit
- Before applicants are issued a permanent residence permit, they must first obtain an extended residence permit and hold it for a minimum of five (5) years. This type of permit is granted for an indefinite period of time and is one of the key requirements for obtaining a Bulgarian passport and citizenship.
Bulgarian Residence Requirements
The requirements for a residence permit are highly prescriptive and applicants who do not fully comply with the provisions of the Foreign Nationals in the Republic of Bulgaria Act are routinely refused. This is why I advise all applicants precisely what requirements need to be met for the specific residence type they are applying for, including the paperwork that needs to be submitted and how these must be presented.
How Does the Bulgarian Residence Process Work?
Applying for Bulgarian residence can be a lengthy and challenging process, but it’s designed this way so immigration services can ensure that only applicants who are in compliance with immigration policies will obtain the permit. Navigating the residency application process is extremely difficult, so be sure to reach out to a qualified immigration lawyer to provide you with clear and comprehensive information about the Bulgarian residency process.
How Visa for Bulgaria Can Help?
Applying for Bulgarian residency may seem easy and straightforward, but as an expert in the field, I know that the process can be complex and confusing, requiring the submission of detailed paperwork. I offer my expertise, time, and commitment to this application process, and ensure that everything is completed correctly and efficiently. Drop me a line at email@example.com to get the process started.